[G4] thanx for the pointers: one more question-audio

shopdog shopdog at mac.com
Thu May 26 10:49:43 PDT 2005

Forgive me but I forget how fast your G4 is and how much memory you
have at the moment.

Is this a Powerbook (laptop) or a Powermac (desktop) or an iMac
(desktop)?

The answers to those questions will determine if your hardware is
adequate.

Personally, I've not had a bad experience with generic memory.

For recording, if you want more than 2 analog channels, you will need a
FireWire interface.  I've heard that the Presonus Firepod is a good one
for this use, and not too expensive ($500?).  M-Audio makes an
inexpensive one called the 1814 and they also make one that is higher
end.  I do not have either, but have read reviews.  A least awhile ago,
the M-audio ones had some firewire hot-plugability issues.

As usual, it all depends on your budget-- do you want to spend as
little as possible, or do you have a good sized budget?

Are you recording audio only or midi only or both?  Most interfaces do
both.

I have used Cubase before and can speak highly of it for the most part.
  I used Logic when it was Emagic's and now have Logic Express (since
Apple purchased the Logic programs).  I think it is an excellent
program, and I have switched to it because Apple owns it and therefore
it is most likely to keep up to date with the Mac OS changes.  I can
tell you that with other software, there is some delay on getting
updates due to recent Mac OS changes, as compared with the Windows
versions of those programs.

I've used these types of programs for about 20 years, but not in a
professional sense-- only for home recording, mixing, and amateur
production.

shopdog