[G4] VGA Monitor on a Mac G3

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Mon May 30 18:34:31 PDT 2005

On 27 May, 2005, at 21:16, Ron Michael wrote:

I recently tried to hook up a Compag 140 VGA monitor to my Mac G3 266
Desktop w/ OS 9.2.2. The Compaq worked fine on my PC. It's hooked to
the Mac VGA adapter I used previously on the Mac G3. When I "startup"
it blinks for a second or two then goes blank. Anyone have a clue as to
what might be wrong?

My first suggestion is to check whether the Compaq monitor is a
multi-synchronous monitor and is capable of accepting the Mac video
signal. If it isn't a MS-capable monitor, try one that is. I think you
will find that any MS-capable monitor will work with the proper
adapter.

My second suggestion is to switch your Mac/SVGA adapter for a different
one. If it works, it was the adapter and not the G3.

My third suggestion is to change your resolution setting to a larger
image (fewer pixels) and try that. Some monitors will only accept a
video signal that matches their built-in abilities. Set your resolution
too high or too low, and they won't work, just blink at startup and
then go black.

Either way, you should be using a multi-synchronous monitor for better
compatibility with the Mac.