[G4] G4 crib death (kernel panic?)

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sat Nov 5 15:29:43 PST 2005

On Nov 5, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Teddi Pomaika'i Stransky wrote:

> ... at least it does have the words kernel and panic in the crash
> report ... I wouldn't know one from a CornNut, myself.
>
> Stats on the machine:
> Darwin Kernel Version 8.3.0: Mon Oct  3 20:04:04 PDT 2005;
> root:xnu-792.6.22.obj~2/RELEASE_PPC
> Model: PowerMac3,1, BootROM 4.2.8f1, 1 processors, PowerPC G4
> (2.1), 1 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
> Graphics: ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, ATY,RV250, AGP, 128 MB
>
> Last week reformatted both drives, rebuilt all directories,
> installed 10.4.3. Now whenever it is in sleep mode for more than a
> few minutes, it crashes. Doesn't matter if I put it to sleep or let
> it nod off on its own, except that if I put it to sleep, I get a
> message telling me it crashed and I must restart, whereas if it
> goes to sleep on its own, I get no message.

Without seeing the crash report it's hard to even guess at what is
going wrong, but here's some things to think about.

Do you have a diagnostics disk for the machine and have you used it?

USB devices and hubs are notorious for causing sleep problems. Do you
have any? It so remove remove them all and add them back one at a time.

Has the memory in the system been there for a while and was it stable
until recently? Try the machine with one stick at a time.

See Twenty steps to help diagnose and fix system issues at:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004011205473937

Phil
--
"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the
system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe, 101