[G4] Thanks all!

Kristen kriss at pobox.mtaonline.net
Wed Nov 9 19:51:26 PST 2005

G4 List Members,

 I thank you all for your wonderful suggestions for finding Mac parts for my
new (not new of course) G4. I have book marked each suggestion and it's about
time to hunt for the Airport card. There was a question regarding why I
wanted the Airport card?

 I do not have an ISP myself, but my navie neighbor offers his ISP service
through his wireless/lan router. Since it's an open network simply having a
wireless card enables one to join in. Someday I'll have to send him a thank
you card. I think for now thats about all I do need in the form of hardware.

 I didn't know that you could use PC componets in the Mac G4. I had thought
the system was propriatary and thus required only the use of Mac parts.
Looking inside the G4 I see the 3 PCI slots. While I do know computers
somewhat, these are not systems I understand much about.

But I do have a question. I learned that the Mac OS X kernel is Darwin Linux
with the Apple desktop of course. This is what got me seriously interested in
Mac's. But I see Microsoft software *cough* being used? Is Apple not using
Open Source software? That which is part of the Free Software Foundation who
supports the GNU project?

Kris