[G4] Partitioning Software

Jay E. Krauss Jr jekrauss at charter.net
Fri Nov 11 02:16:24 PST 2005

	Drive Genius www.prosofteng.com ($99.00) has the option of
repartitioning a hard disk in its devise (vrs volume) mode. If you
only want the repartitioning ability, it can be purchased separately
from SubRosaSoft  www.subrosasoft.com as VolumnWorks ($49.95 as
download). [Drive Genius is actually a collection of several
individual programs from SubRosaSoft, I believe SubRosaSoft is based
in New Zealand, so not as well known here in the US.]
	I used VolumnWorks to change partitions on a hard drive once
with good results (I actually eliminated a partition so as to have
sufficient room for expanding OS X system partition). The program
strongly recommends backing up the drive first, which is just good
advise anyway (I've had 3-4 HDs fail over the years, as well as a
software RAID become corrupted)
	As an aside, while I usually use DiskWarrior for serious disk
repair, it gives me an "out of memory" message and stops when I try
to use it on a 500 Mb HD. Disk Genius is able to repair and rebuild
the same drive without difficulty.