[G4] Partitioning Software

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Nov 11 06:40:14 PST 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:16 AM, Jay E. Krauss Jr wrote:

>         Drive Genius www.prosofteng.com ($99.00) has the option of
> repartitioning a hard disk in its devise (vrs volume) mode. If you
> only want the repartitioning ability, it can be purchased separately
> from SubRosaSoft  www.subrosasoft.com as VolumnWorks ($49.95 as
> download). [Drive Genius is actually a collection of several
> individual programs from SubRosaSoft, I believe SubRosaSoft is based
> in New Zealand, so not as well known here in the US.]
>         I used VolumnWorks to change partitions on a hard drive once
> with good results (I actually eliminated a partition so as to have
> sufficient room for expanding OS X system partition). The program
> strongly recommends backing up the drive first, which is just good
> advise anyway (I've had 3-4 HDs fail over the years, as well as a
> software RAID become corrupted)
>         As an aside, while I usually use DiskWarrior for serious disk
> repair, it gives me an "out of memory" message and stops when I try to
> use it on a 500 Mb HD. Disk Genius is able to repair and rebuild the
> same drive without difficulty.
>
>> I'd like to re-partition my HD and install a new OS. What is the best
>> application that will re-partition my HD without erasing all my
>> files. Also, is it possible to re-format as well?
>>
>>  Thanks
>>  Fred

Yeah, I had the same thoughts about re-partitioning my 120Gb drive and
decided that the best thing to do was get another 120Gb drive from eBay
($32.00 + $5.00 s/h), install and partition the new to me drive and
copy the items that I wanted from my current 120Gb drive and then
re-format and partition the original drive.

Much cheaper than purchasing a software package that I would,
more-than-likely only use once, and the new-to-me 120Gb HD gets used
all of the time.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing
through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...
and then we return home.
Australian Aboriginal proverb