[G4] Hard Drive special (was: Partitioning Software)

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Sat Nov 12 12:01:35 PST 2005

Um...

And, how would you connect your SATA drive to your system?  The connectors are different. The lower level protocols (Serial, the "S" in SATA instead of parallel as in present ATA drives) are different.

The source you cite deals with ATA drives (parallel, the flat ribbon connectors, where each of the wires is one channel of a parallel array) and not with Serial ATA (SATA).  It addresses a completely different issue.  Look at the title and opening text, please:

"Macintosh: Using 128 GB or Larger ATA Hard Drives
Not all Macintosh products can take advantage of the full capacity of large (128 GB or greater) hard drives that use 48-bit LBA when they are connected via an ATA controller. Other controllers (SCSI or FireWire) are not affected."

--Steve