[G4] OS X 10.3.9 doesn't see PCI cards; 9.2.2 does!

Aaron aarons510 at infinex.com
Sat Nov 12 13:53:19 PST 2005

> From: Ronald Steinke <ronsteinke at mac.com>
>Subject: Re: [G4] OS X 10.3.9 doesn't see PCI cards; 9.2.2 does!
>Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:34:27 -0800
>
>On 11 Nov, 2005, at 17:33, Aaron wrote:
>
>>The two cards are a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 card and an ixTV card. I know that the former should work under 10.x, if not the latter. But even a card that doesn't work should be seen, shouldn't it?
>
>I installed the same card in my GBit G4 and it did not show up in System Profiler either. However, there was an indication that a card of some sort was installed in the #3 slot. It was identified with a cryptic code sequence that I could never get an answer for from anybody that I asked.
>
>As long as it worked, I stopped worrying about it and just kept on going. I would attach a drive or two to the card and see if they mount on the desktop. Mine did, and it is a good probability that yours will too.

I just migrated the two drives from the built-in ATA 66 to the card, and indeed they do work!

Some observations:

The ATA card does indeed now show in in Panther's System Profiler, but the drives don't show up under either ATA or SCSI! Also, Panther's Info windows don't tell you anything about what bus, etc., a volume is on. Fortunately, Disk Utility does that.

I also have another problem, but I'll start a new thread with a more descriptive title for that one.