[G4] Note on ATA buses in MDD Dual G4 and perhaps other Macs.

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sun Nov 13 09:55:08 PST 2005

Dan A Currie wrote:
> Philip J Robar wrote:
>

>> On Nov 13, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Aaron wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is that the jumpers on the two drives were set using the
>>> Master/Slave method, which apparently is correct for the ATA 33 bus
>>> but not for the ATA 66 bus, which, like the ATA 100 bus, uses Cable
>>> Select!

>> Keeping things simple. Cable select has nothing to do with which
>> interface you're using. It has everything to do with having a cable
>> select enabled cable (i.e. the correct wire is snipped at the correct
>> location) and the drives jumpered to cable select.
>>

>> Phil

> I just use the button on the header bar to choose which DVD or CD device
> to open and I can toggle between them.  It should be just to the left of
> your volume control and is shaped like a triangle with a line under it.
>
> Dan A. Currie, Jr.  MDD, 1GB RAM, dual 1GHz processors, 80 & 120 GB HD,
> Super & Combo drives, running 10.4.

Last question (for me...) is, I already have the "Combo Drive" factory
installed in my MDD G4, and am ready to put a new Pioneer DVR-107D in
the lower space.
Once installed and the machine rebooted, can I expect that header bar
icon to display both the Combo Drive and the DVD drive?

Thanks for your help.

keith whaley
MDD G4, 1.25 GB CPU, !.024 GB RAM, (2) 80 GB H.D., OS 10.3.9