[G4] DISABLE DASHBOARD & question & the CD tray/eject button

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Tue Nov 15 08:33:35 PST 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Nov 15, 2005, at 8:22 AM, Laura Robinette wrote:

> This is something I've also been trying to figure out how to do since
> I work at a middle school. Thanks for asking, Frank & thanks for the
> answer, Tony. :)
>
> I have a related question that hopefully somebody can give me an easy
> answer to. Since I work at a school, on the same computers that I have
> the issue w/ dashboard, I also have been trying to figure out how to
> keep the students from opening the CD tray w/ the eject button on the
> keyboard. Is there a way to disable that function? I have eMacs
> running Tiger w/ logins using Simple Finder.
>
> TIA
> Laura
>
>  On Nov 15, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Tony Gamble wrote:
>
>> Here's an actual widget that will kill Dashboard:
>> http://www.natal.be/index.php/2005/10/stopdashboard-widget/
>>
>> But then it starts right back up again when you hit F12, so in your
>> case, you'll probably want a more solid solution, and that involves
>> the terminal:
>>
>> http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2005/08/disabledashboard/
>> index.php
>>
>> - Tony
>>
>> On 15-Nov-05, at 10:03 AM, Frank Sudore wrote:
>>>
>>> I am the it manager at a company that is 100% Mac. (Like the Maytag
>>> repair man).
>>> We are about to make the jump to Tiger and  need to limit access to
>>> certain users. Is there anyway to disable dashboard?
>>> Any help is most appreciated.
>>> frank

I haven't installed Tiger, but I would think that if you are installing
from the Tiger DVD that you can do a custom install and elect not to
install dashboard.

Just a thought.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing
through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...
and then we return home.
Australian Aboriginal proverb