[G4] DVD drive door opening on restart

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 24 15:19:28 PST 2005

Second question first. Your drive door opening on startup is usually
indicative of a USB peripheral making an incorrect call. Easiest test
is to disconnect all USB peripherals but mouse and keyboard, then try
and boot. If that works, open the DVD drive, insert your system DVD
and reboot holding down the option key. You should get screen that
has buttons for each bootable system disk. Cursur over and click on
the system DVD and the right arrow. This procedure does not change
the startup disk.

Make sure you fix your permissions with Apple Disk Utility before and
after installing software.

Good luck. I had an accelerated G4 AGP for six years and found it the
most versatile of the G4 series. It is running OS 10.4.2 and OS 9.2.2
with a Powerforce 1.2 Giga Dual and a ATI 9000 graphics card. Gave it
to my daughter when I could afford a G5.

>I'm a new and frustrated owner of a used G4 AGP powermac. I've been
>trying to reinstall a new OS X10 on top of existing OS but can't
>seem to get system to boot from install disk.
>Is the DVD drive supposed to automatically open itself each time the
>system boots up? I'm wondering if i need a new DVD drive.

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

Almost never pointless.