[G4] HFS+ vs. UFS for Panther boot partition on G4

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Thu Nov 24 19:57:17 PST 2005

At 12:52 -0700 on 11/23/2005, Doug McNutt wrote about Re: [G4] HFS+
vs. UFS for Panther boot partition on G4:

>It is possible, even without server software, to make an HFS+ file
>system that is case-sensitive.

Tiger has this support available for Non-Server MacOS 10.4.x (it
already existed in Pre 10.4 Server Versions).

What I do since there is a limited set of files I want on a
case-sensitive volume is generate a .dmg image as Read/Write and
format it as UFS. When needed, just mount the volume and use it. This
avoids collateral accidents by allocating normal case-preserving
data-sets on the case-sensitive volume.

I've used this successfully when I had to assume responsibility for a
Unix Based Web Site where the creator accidentally make use of the
ability to have the same file name multiple times by altering the
case. I was able to use the UFS .dmg file to keep a copy of the site
while I worked on fixing the duplicate names during a migration of
the site to Case-Preserving Server.