[G4] HFS+ vs. UFS for Panther boot partition on G4

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Nov 23 15:13:50 PST 2005

On Nov 23, 2005, at 4:26 AM, Aaron wrote:

> I have a few hard disks that I'll shortly be reformatting. While
> I'll probably format one of them, at least, to boot into OS X on
> earlier Macs, I want to format one to be best for running OS X on
> my G4 Dual MDD. I'm wondering about the advantages of the UNIX file
> system vs. HFS+ for the OS X boot partition.
>
> I realize that files on such a partition won't be readable when
> booting into OS 9 and I'm thinking that this may be an advantage,
> since I could put data files there that I don't want to be easily
> read by somebody who doesn't have my password. I'm also guessing
> that OS X will run better on top of the UNIX FS, since it is, after
> all, UNIX-based. Also, I may be running raw UNIX occasionally.
>
> Aside from not being able to move the disk to a machine that can't
> handle UFS, what other disadvantages might there be to using it?
> What other advantages?

While UFS is a vastly more robust file system than HFS+, it's a poor
choice for an OS X system. Somewhere in Apple's knowledge base is an
article on why this is so.

Phil
--
After 9/11, Bush made two statements: "Terrorists hate America
because America is a land of freedom and opportunity." and "We intend

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.