[G4] slowdown

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Tue Nov 29 10:51:38 PST 2005

Try running the "Disk Utility" on your boot hard drive selecting the
correct permissions option.
Also check you memory and CPU usages after quitting all
applications.... Using the "Activity Monitor". Look for stuff that is
taking substantial amounts of CPU and RAM.

Make not of the idle usage of CPU and RAM, How much is used / free.
Also look at for CPU hogging processes something that is taking more
than 10% of the CPU when you are doing nothing at all... When you go
into the activity monitor set show to "All Processes" Your goal for
CPU usage when idle should be a result less than or around 10% but
really -subtract 5%  from that for the Activity Monitor itself. Don't
go randomly quitting process, you might log your self-out, etc.. So
only quit stuff you know is misbehaving... some info on the
background processes... http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS-X/
background-processes.html

"Idle usage" meaning no other visible applications running except the
Activity Monitor and the Finder.

Then restart you computer and check the totals again...

Also I found a big improvement since upgrading from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3
in terms of in-use ram totals when idle. Improves from about 400MB to
300MB. I was getting that total based on Wired and Active Totals in
the Activity Monitor under the System Memory section. With 1.5GB of
memory installed.

It seem to help performance wise also by logging out occasionally of
the account and logging back in  if you stay logged in for days /
weeks at a time.

Restarts too help performance a little after being on for a few weeks...

also here is some info on unix maintenance scripts including with mac
os 10 , which you might interested in if you studown / sleep your
computer instead of running it 24/ 7....

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.