[G4] File "Unerasing"

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 5 13:31:36 PDT 2005

If the data has been overwriten it is gone.  If the data has some
overwriten bits it may be recoverable, but remember - it really depends
on what bits have been overwriten - luck is a big factor.  There are
bits in every file that describe where it starts/ends, bits that flag
the start/end of any links (fragmented files) and more.  If the flag
bits are lost the computer can no longer recognize the stuff left as a
file or maybe it can only retieve part of it.

Try Disk Warrior and/or TechTools - They may find a bit more if you are
lucky.  But cross your fingers that he did not use Secure Empty Trash.
The less you use the computer the better - boot from another disk and
then access this one, so as to not erase more.  These tools may not be
able to boot or your copy may be older so booting from another disk or
partition is key.

There are companies that do this but it is extremely expensive.
Where's the back-up?  I know I back up once in a while, but if it all
went, I could be out a month or twos email and bookmarks.  Work is
backed up every couple days and eventually burned to CD for posterity,
or that future year when they need that cute photo they remembered oh
so long ago.  And I purge after burning a CD.

An external firewire housing with a 160 gig or better is my
recomendation - the bigger the better - digital photos, digital music,
digital ...

jj

On 5-Oct-05, at 1:06 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com