[G4] Help ...Initializing a HD

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 10:32:02 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, "Hector I. Macedo" <hecmac at comcast.net> wrote:

> I was trying to re-format a HD that has Mac format into a PC format.
> I remember that it could be done with the Disk Utility in the
> installer CD, but now it only has the capability to do Mac or Unix,
> the PC option has disappeared.  The HD is on a firewire enclosure and
> I tried with the disks on 10.4 and 10.3 , when I tried to do it with
> the installer of 9.2 it showed as an unsupported disk so the
> initializing was not permitted.
>
> Any ideas, short of putting the HD physically in the computer and
> then using OS 9?

>From Disk Utility's Help:

Formatting a disk for Windows computers
You can use Disk Utility to format a disk for Windows computers. You can
choose one of several MS-DOS formats.
WARNING: Formatting a disk erases its files. Copy files you want to save to
another disk before formatting the disk.

1.	In Disk Utility, select the disk you want to format for Windows computers.
2.	Click Erase and choose MS-DOS File System from the Volume Format pop-up
menu.
3.	Type a name for the disk.
4.	The name's maximum length is 11 characters.
5.	Click the Erase button, then click Erase again.

You can also choose to partition a disk using a Windows partition scheme
which formats the partitions in MS-DOS format.