[G4] Speeding up

Tim Collier collierof1957 at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 17:28:17 PDT 2005

I hate when people post at the bottom of the message, it means I
actually have to scroll down to read it but here are the answers to
your questions (which are at the bottom):
1:  No your email address would have to change unless you have a .mac
account like a lot of us do or gmail or hotmail or whatevermail,
otherwise you're going to be someuser at comcast.com or
someuser at adelphia.net or someuser at bellsouth.net or whatever.
2:  DSL is through your Phone Company or whatever company has
contracted with your local 'mini-bell' to use their lines like
verizon, aol and a few other broadband providers do.  If you sign up
for cable, it comes to your house the same way it does for your cable
TV.  Most come with self-installation kits.  And they're really
easy.  They come with step by step instructions with pictures....they
assume that most people are idiots (hmmmm, I wonder where they get
that idea, I know, they are!).
3:  It connects to your computer with either a DSL Modem with DSL
(comes in the self install kit) and connects to the network
connection on the back (you do have a Mac, right?....because some
PC's don't have them, you have to go buy a PCI card...Macs have a
network port built in (have had for years).  If you order Cable, you
use a Cable Modem, also comes in the cable company's self install
kit, it ALSO connects the same way to the network port.  I forgot to
say that all of the self install kits contain all of the things that
you will need....modem, cables, phone line adapters (if you get DSL),
everything.

Oh, on rare occasions, the cable companies have been known to have to
make an appointment to come to your house for installation if you
don't have cable already.....say you have Directv or Dish Network or
(GASP) an antenna.  With DSL, if your phone line qualifies, they just
send you the self install kit and you're done.

Based on some of your questions, you DID check to see that you have
broadband available in your area?  If you live out in the middle of
nowhere, you might not be able to get any broadband service.

Tim