[G4] connect to external firewire drive

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Wed Oct 12 20:38:48 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Oct 12, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Daniel Brieck Jr. wrote:

> I don't think you can do that on os 10 very easily. You might have to
> use some crazy stuff to implement that  in Netinfo manager so don't
> play around unless you know what you are doing
>
> I remember a feature of os 9 that allowed you to Share a Drive or
> folder by clicking a checkbox. That is missing with os 10 unless you
> have the Server version unless i am mistaken, but you can still do it
> someway.
>
>  Check Apple's support page.
>
> Also try to SSH into your macs desktop remotely and Check
> cd /Volumes/
> and see if the drive shows up
>
> or /dev
>
> Daniel J. Brieck Jr.
>
> On Oct 12, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Gary Willard wrote:
>
>> I have an external firewire drive connected to my G4. (OS 10.3.9) I
>> connect to my G4 remotely with my powerbook laptop in another room in
>> the house via an ethernet router. I have 2 hard drives in my G4. When
>> I "connect to server" from the finder of my laptop, I can get to my
>> G4, see and connect to both of those internal drives. I cannot see or
>> connect to the external firewire drive, even though when I physically
>> go to my G4, it is there on the desktop. What am I missing? Does that
>> software solution apply to this too? Thanks for any
>> help._______________________________________________

It's not really very hard, Open your System Preferences and select the
Sharing folder.

Select the Service tab if it isn't already selected. Then choose the
service that you want to share. Next click the "Personal File Sharing
"Start" button.

Next select the Firewall tab and click the "Start" button to tell the
firewall to allow access from the outside world.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing
through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...
and then we return home.
Australian Aboriginal proverb