[G4] connect to external firewire drive

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Oct 12 21:08:42 PDT 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 8:38 PM, Harry Freeman wrote:

> Greetings ( + )!( + )
>
>> On Oct 12, 2005, at 9:17 PM, Gary Willard wrote:
>>
>>> I have an external firewire drive connected to my G4. (OS 10.3.9)
>>> I connect to my G4 remotely with my powerbook laptop in another
>>> room in the house via an ethernet router. I have 2 hard drives in
>>> my G4. When I "connect to server" from the finder of my laptop, I
>>> can get to my G4, see and connect to both of those internal
>>> drives. I cannot see or connect to the external firewire drive,
>>> even though when I physically go to my G4, it is there on the
>>> desktop. What am I missing? Does that software solution apply to
>>> this too? Thanks for any help.
>
> It's not really very hard, Open your System Preferences and select
> the Sharing folder.
>
> Select the Service tab if it isn't already selected. Then choose
> the service that you want to share. Next click the "Personal File
> Sharing "Start" button.
>
> Next select the Firewall tab and click the "Start" button to tell
> the firewall to allow access from the outside world.

He's already done that or he wouldn't be able to see the two internal
drives. The problem is that the non-server version of OS X doesn't
give you any control over what is shared. All it gives you is an on/
off switch. SharePoints overcomes this limitation.

There's no need to turn the firewall on for sharing to work. You only
need to allow sharing if the firewall is on.

Phil