[G4] External HD Formatting Question

Eugene D. tunick, D.D.S. modonlay at interbel.net
Sun Oct 23 22:16:06 PDT 2005

On Oct 23, 2005, at 9:21 PM, Ron Michael wrote:

> I have a Mac G4 1.35mhz mirror door. Bought a new USB external hard
> drive enclosure with a Maxtor 160HD in it. When I initialized it
> originally I was on my Mac so it's formatted as a Mac journaled. I
> wanted to use this as a plug and play on my Mac and my Win XP laptop.
> Now it's full of stuff and my Win XP won't recognize it. Shouldn't my
> Windows machine see it anyway? Forgive me for throwing in a Windows
> question here please, but it's really a Mac G4 question, too. Any
> ideas on how to correct this?
> Thanks.
> Ron in Memphis

I just bought a 350mHz Sawtooth G4 and put an external usb hard drive
on it. It was a drive from my PC.
To my surprise, the Mac saw the files on the drive and I could read the
text files.
So, perhaps if you attach the drive to a PC and do a Windows format on
it and copy your files to it, you'll be able to see them on the Mac
even though you won't be able to write to the drive from the Mac.

Goldcrown in Montana