[G4] A joke

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 26 20:28:16 PDT 2005

On 27/10/2005 8:07 AM, "Jay E. Krauss, Jr." <jekrauss at charter.net> wrote:

> You may wish to try Opera 8.5, a (now) free download from
> www.opera.com. In the Menu Bar under the "O" is a Quick Preference
> submenu in which you can chose to have the browser identify itself as
> Opera, Mozilla, or Internet Explorer.

Sarari does this too, but its hidden in a developer part of Safari not
usually visible.

David Pogues excellent OS X The Missing Manual has the info on pages 646 and
647.

In a nut shell use the Terminal command defaults write com.apple.Safari
IncludeDebugMenu 1

Perhaps less intimidating is to download 'Safari Enhancer' which is a free
program available on the 'Missing CD' page at http://www.missingmanuals.com
 The program has a simple checkbox option for turning Debug on and off

When Debug menu appears in the menu bar select Debug>user agent>MacMSIE5.22
which unfortunately (whether using Opera or Safari) is the latest possible.
That is the price we paid to get Safari in the first place.

I solved these dilemmas by buying a $200 old PC and put it on the LAN, for
those odd times when only a PC will do. This has the added advantage of
reminding me each time I use it just how good OS X really is :-)

Tony
http://tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art