[G4] G4 Powerbook Won't Boot Up. Help?

Ron Michael ronmichael at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 16:08:26 PDT 2005

I have a buddy who is having G4 Powerbook problems which is stopping
him from booting up. He's tried Disk Warrior and that wouldn't repair
it. I'm pasting some of the on-screen messages he's getting but this is
as far as he can get before it hangs. I may be posting  too much but
hopefully it might help someone smarter than me interpret what's going
on. He was afraid to re-install until I posted this message (also at my
suggestion) since he's hoping his data is still all there. Any advice I
can pass along to him. I've got Tech Tool Pro but he lives about an
hour away. I thought about having him come over, connecting the
Powerbook to my G4, via Firewire and Target Disk mode but if it won't
start up, that idea won't help.
Thanks a lot.
Ron in Memphis

0. hfs: WARNING - blocks on volume Macintosh HD not allocated!

1. panic(cpu0): 0x300 - Data Access

2. panic: We are hanging here.

3. Incorrect block count for filesystem.log
It should be 15987 instead of 15988 (---or is it  file
system.log---probably just one word.)

4. Invalid key length (4, 9807)

5. Volume check failed

6. Warning: blocks on volume MacIntosch HD not allocated

7. Returning false early

8. Connector or machine incorrect  (this message may be on same line at
#7 message. I know it follows #7 message.)

9. After running fsck_hfs -fn /dev/disk0s9, I get these messages:
    ** /dev/rdisk0s9 (No WRITE)
**Root file system
**Checking HFS Plus volume
**Checking Extents Overflow file.
**Checking Catalog file.
    Invalid extent entry
(4, 9807)
**The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
**Volume check failed.