[G4] G4 Powerbook Won't Boot Up. Help?

Eric Volker ebv1 at charter.net
Thu Oct 27 19:34:50 PDT 2005

Ron-

This is not my area of expertise, but I can see at least one problem
with your approach. When running fsck_hfs, drop the 'n' option and
replace it with 'y'. This will force fsck_hfs to at least try to fix any
problems it finds. Thus you would enter:

fsck_hfs -fy /dev/disk0s9

This is assuming that /dev/disk0s9 is actually the raw device that
corresponds to his drive.

Trying to mount your friend's hard drive on your G4 is certainly a valid
option. Don't be upset if it doesn't immediately mount, but instead
start Disk Utility and see if it appears there. If it does, you can
attempt to repair the drive with Disk Utility.

I'm not familiar with Disk Warrior, but it might help if you pass on
whatever error your friend got when trying to repair the disk with that
utility. If I recall correctly, Disk Warrior comes highly recommended,
so I'm surprised it didn't at least tell you something useful.

Eric