[G4] G4 Powerbook Won't Boot Up. Help?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Thu Oct 27 19:46:53 PDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Ron Michael wrote:

> I have a buddy who is having G4 Powerbook problems which is
> stopping him from booting up. He's tried Disk Warrior and that
> wouldn't repair it. ...

> 9. After running fsck_hfs -fn /dev/disk0s9, I get these messages:
>    ** /dev/rdisk0s9 (No WRITE)
> **Root file system
> **Checking HFS Plus volume
> **Checking Extents Overflow file.
> **Checking Catalog file.
>    Invalid extent entry
> (4, 9807)
> **The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
> **Volume check failed.

I found this online:

	This error message means, in English:
	"You have files that are stored fragmented--one file is in many
places on your
	disk. one of those files has a bad entry in the part of the
directory that
	keeps track of fragmented files. i can't locate all the parts of
that file."

	TechTool Pro can usually fix this problem; DiskWarrior can usually
fix it too.

Since DiskWarrior didn't work, the obvious thing to do is boot from
the install CD or another drive and try to fix the troubled drive
with Drive Utility. Even if that doesn't work you might be able to
back this drive up before reinstalling.

Phil