[G4] G4 Processor Upgrades

Michael L. Brown brownml at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 21 17:16:16 PDT 2005

Six months ago, I invested in a  PowerLogix PowerForce47 Dual G4/1.2
GHz for my G4/400 Gigabit Ethernet. Uses the Motorola/Freescale 7447
Chip without a L3 Cache. Also required patching the NVRAM. Was
significantly louder and only marginally faster converting and
editing audio files than the three year old PFG4-1000 cache card it
replaced.  The PFG4-1000 used both L2 and L3 cache. Since the whole
purpose of buying the PF47 dual was it had a more efficient heatsink
and larger fan on the card, and was supposedly quieter, I was pretty
disappointed. The large case fan ran a lot faster and more than made
up the expected difference.

A couple months ago my daughter's iMac 400SE died and and I received
an unexpected bonus at work, it only took me a day to convince the
family banker (wife) that I should invest the bonus in a new G5 1.2
GHz dual and give the G4 to my daughter. Now I can edit music without
noise-cancelling headphones.

My advice is buy a new G5, if if you don't have any software that
requires booting for OS9. If you do and it won't run on Classic in OS
10, then I suggest almost any PowerForce57 which can use both L2 and
L3 caches over a PowerForce47 which can't.

Also check the experiences if others in the Accellorate Your Mac.com
data base at URL:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

Bon chance, Mike

>On 20 Sep, 2005, at 7:56, JWarren371 at aol.com wrote:
>
>An e-mail from OWC has me thinking about upgrading my G4/867 MHz Quicksilver.
>
>PowerLogix PowerForce57 Dual G4/1.2 GHz $525
>
>PowerLogix PowerForce47 Dual G4/1.8 GHz $599
>
>A 50% increase of processor speed for a cost increase of only
>approximately14%?
>
>Why does my brain say that this is a "no-brainer"? If you can afford
>it, go for the gusto and get the faster of the two. Or, you could
>simply save the entire amount toward a G5 and revel in your good
>fortune.

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

Almost never pointless.