[G4] Exploding Power supplies

transform baggins at ihug.co.nz
Mon Sep 26 02:20:35 PDT 2005

your problem is age and use.....
when capacitors get old they can dry out and allow spikes to get though.
if you clean the fans this stops them over heating and doing the spark
dead thing so soon.
unfortunately a 115 volt power supply uses more current than the 220
and so this will make these more likely to have this problem....
this is not just a mac thing as i also fix pc's that have done the
same..
keep fans clean and and put a surge protector on your power source
though this won't guarantee no troubles but it will limit the risk