[G4] Exploding Power supplies

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Mon Sep 26 17:57:05 PDT 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 5:20 AM, transform wrote:

> your problem is age and use.....
> when capacitors get old they can dry out and allow spikes to get
> though.
> if you clean the fans this stops them over heating and doing the
> spark dead thing so soon.
> unfortunately a 115 volt power supply uses more current than the
> 220 and so this will make these more likely to have this problem....
> this is not just a mac thing as i also fix pc's that have done the
> same..
> keep fans clean and and put a surge protector on your power source
> though this won't guarantee no troubles but it will limit the risk

     Thanks for the advice.  I did a little research on XLR8 your Mac
and found a article about using a PC power supply for B&W G3's.  I
found one on close out at a local PC shop.  350 watts for $10 so I
gave it a try.  Low and behold it not only fit in the case, but all
the screw holes and power cord holes lined up perfectly.  I pulled a
HD/Optical drive power cable extender from an old AIO G3 that was
laying around and used it to power the On/Off switch and LED.  I also
straight wired the internal fan to one of the extra HD/Optical drive
power cable  connectors and got it working.  Best $10 I ever spent.

Thanks,

Kevin