[G4] Firdge Vs. Mac

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Sep 30 18:18:38 PDT 2005

Greetings,

On Sep 30, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:

>     I have a Mac that I have been rebuilding for about a week.  The
> first time I plugged it in, the power supply blew.  After replacing
> it, I was able to get it up and running again for a couple of days.
> When I tried to boot it up yesterday, however, it was dead.  No chime,
> no lights, no fans, nothing.  I tried 3 different power supplies, but
> none of them solved the problem.  I checked and re-checked every
> connector on the mother board and the memory etc.  everything looks
> fine.  I don't know what killed it, but I am beginning to suspect it
> has something to do with the fact that it is on the same electrical
> circuit as a refrigerator and a freezer.  Is there any known issues
> running a computer on the same line as a fridge?  My nieces PC also
> failed to boot after a recent power outage.  When I looked at it, I
> noticed that she had a mini fridge plugged in to the same outlet.
> Shouldn't a surge protector prevent any problems resulting from other
> devices on the same line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Kevin ( + )!( + )

A refrigerator and a freezer more than likely won't cause a voltage
serge on the circuit that they are connected to, but they can cause the
voltage to drop below a safe operating level during the start-up
period.

What you need is a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) that has a
low-voltage detector. Most of the inexpensive ones only detect a
complete loss of power and you need one that comes into play upon low
levels, like when the refrigerator or freezer are in the start-up
cycle.

There are also constant voltage transformers that put out a constant
voltage when the input voltage goes up and down, however they are
pretty expensive.

Most surge protectors are for protection against Lightning.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing
through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...
and then we return home.
Australian Aboriginal proverb