[G4] Disappearing Hard drive

Gregg Mastorakos lightpainter at cox.net
Mon Apr 3 16:49:54 PDT 2006

I have a g4 450 dual running 10.3.9. I have two drives with 2 and 3
partitions on them.  Drive number 2 is 3 months old.
I installed a "Creative I/O" 1394 + usb 2.0 combo card to replace my
non-functioning firewire ports and add usb 2.0 to my machine. The
machine wouldn't sleep, but all else functioned fine. Now 1 partitions
on each drive isn't appearing on my desktop. I see them in disk utility
but they are grayed out and I can't repair them. I get "Error: The
underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)".
I removed the PCI card and still have the same problem.  I had almost
this exact same problem with another drive 3 months ago (before the
card). I am thinking that it was the pci card but now I'm wondering if
it could be something else? Help is greatly appreciated this machine is
my workhorse.

Thanks,
Gregg