[G4] DiskWarrior Updater (REALLY)

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Mon Apr 17 19:02:16 PDT 2006

On 4/15/06 10:28 PM, bigthor at webzone.net asked:

> Has anyone with DiskWarrior 3.0 successfully updated his/her DiskWarrior to
> 3.0.3 on a blank CD using the downloaded Updater?  I get error messages and
> I've ruined several CDs trying it.  Tech help hasn't been able to correct the
> problem.  I've been able to save to my desktop the .dmg file the Updater
> creates, but using the Updater, or using Disk Utility to burn a CD from the
> .dmg image haven't worked.
>
> If you have successfully updated and burned a CD with DiskWarrior 3.0.3 on it,
> please share your secret.  Thanks.

I had the same problem last summer and got a somewhat different answer from
Alsoft:

>Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted on Wednesday,
August 10, 2005 at 20:30:23
>---
>
>a_Product: DiskWarrior
>
>b_Product_Version: 3.0.2
>
>c_Product_Serial_Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>d_Question_or_Problem: I open and run the 3.0.3 updater and all goes
>well until I am asked to insert a blank CD.  The updater fails to see
>the CD.  I have played with every setting of the CDs & DVDs Control
>Panel in System Preferences, including "Ignore" and "Open DiskWarrior
>3.0.3 CD Updater" and the updater just doesn't believe that I inserted
>anything at all.
>
>e. Error Message: Your application just says "Error" and "Please insert
>a blank CD"
>
>f. What Have You Tried So Far: I have played with every setting of the
>CDs & DVDs Control Panel in System Preferences, including "Ignore" and
>"Open DiskWarrior 3.0.3 CD Updater"
>Ejected and reinserted CD
>Closed and re-opened DW updater
>
>g. Mac OS Version: Mac OS X 10.3.0 - 10.3.9
>
>h. Mac Model: G3 Blue & White
>
>i. Mac Processor: G4 (PPC 7400)
>
>j. Mac RAM: 1GB
>
>k. Mac Config Story: 550 MHz G4 upgrade
>Pioneer 109 DVD recorder

It's possible that the drive is unsupported or there is a problem
communicating with your CD burner, not necessarily a problem with your
burner mechanism itself.  It could also be an issue with the type of
media you are using.

You can try burning the disk image manually using Disk Utility under OS X
10.3.x or higher.

The updated DiskWarrior disk image is in the /private/tmp folder on the
hard drive.

To find the .dmg file do the following.

1.  Run the updater.  Allow it to read your DiskWarrior 3.0 CD and enter
the registration information when requested.

2.  When it asks for a blank CD, go to the Finder (i.e. click on the
desktop).

3.  In the Finder, select the "Go to Folder..." command located in the
"Go" menu.

4.  The Go to Folder dialog will open and you will need to type the path
"/private/tmp" (do not type the quote marks) and then press Go.

This will open the tmp folder and you can then copy the .dmg file to the
desktop (see note below).  When dragging and dropping the disk image file
from the tmp folder to the Desktop, make sure you hold down the "option"
key so that a copy will be made instead of moving the original.  Then
burn it using Disk Utility (i.e. Use the "Burn" command from the "Images"
menu and select the .dmg file).

NOTE:
The .dmg file is deleted when the updater quits.  You need to make a copy
of this temporary file before quitting the updater so that it does not go
away.

-- Marc
Marc Moorash, Alsoft Technical Support
Email:  tech.support at alsoft.com