[G4] Samsung drives?

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Apr 18 00:00:51 PDT 2006

On Apr 17, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Aaron wrote:

> I need more hard disk space to store my large collection of video
> and audio, including intermediate versions of videos I'm processing
> in various ways. I presently have four HD's in my G4 Dual 867, all
> 7200RPM and ranging from 60 GB to 250 GB (decimal).
>
> I picked up a 300 GB Samsung 7200 RPM/8MEG drive at CompUSA a few
> days ago for $108 (including tax), but haven't opened it yet. I
> know I can return it even if I open it, but I'd rather not even
> open it if it's not a good drive. There is, BTW, no model number on
> the box, but the UPC is 892489000677, for what it's worth.
>
> Anybody have any familiarity with this drive or with Samsung drives
> in general? Reasonably fast? Reasonably quiet?

Samsung drives tend not to be the fastest, but are usually on the
quiet side and consume less power than others.

> Are they reliable?

  Yes, (although no one on this list has the information to really
answer this question).

You really can't go wrong with any current drive from any known
manufacturer. If you care about anything other than price see
someplace like http://www.storagereview.com or search the web as
previously suggested.

> BTW, I just ordered a USB 2.0 card and am planning on getting an
> external case for one of my drives. How does USB 2.0 compare with
> the built-in FireWire for the external drive?

USB is consistently slower than Firewire. Whether that makes a
difference to you depends on what you're doing. See sites like http://
www.barefeats.com for more.

Phil
--
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your
government when it deserves it."