[G4] G4 Dual 867 MDD RAM question

Chris Loehr clscott at interkan.net
Tue Apr 18 19:45:27 PDT 2006

As a reseller of Apple Computers, we put PC2700 and or PC3200 in with PC2100
on a regular basis without any problems.  PC2700 and PC3200 will clock down
to the lowest (slowest) common dominator, i.e. Memory speed, bus speed,
whichever is slowest.

The key to all this is using good quality, name brand memory.  We have seen
machines with low quality or generic memory cause problems that go away when
using good quality memory.  As OS X matured it got pickier and pickier with
the specs of particular memory, so using quality properly spec'd memory
became vital to keeping problems to a minimum.

Although I have seen that simply rearranging memory in the slots can make a
difference, and eliminate problems.  Why, I don't know, but a simple
solution like that, does work on occasion.  So it is always worth a try.

In fact going to Crucial.com and looking up memory for the Dual 867mhz, they
are only selling PC2700, as well as PC3200 for that machine.  So in Crucial
s opinion PC2100 is not needed for the machine to work properly.  I consider
Crucial to be a top tier manufacturer of memory so I respect their opinion.

With Crucial we have had excellent experiences and we use their website all
the time to spec memory for customers.  And we do not just use their site,
we do buy their memory. Each piece of memory we receive from them has a tag
on the module itself that has the Crucial name on it. The one or two
customers that have had any problems have contacted Crucial and without
needing proof of purchase Crucial has exchanged their memory for them.

I am neither condoning nor recommending Crucial memory, I am merely using
them as an example of a quality company that stands by their memory.

Although I have yet to see any memory company not offer a lifetime warranty
on their memory,  what I tell my customers, and I have seen first hand, is
that many times the memory modules that arrive from generic memory companies
 typically the ram itself does not have the memory companies name on it.  If
you have problems with that ram at a later date, and you don't remember who
you got it from it can be hard to get the problem taken care of as the stick
of ram has a plain sticker on it with no manufacturer name. Major memory
companies put a sticker with their name on the memory module and it sure
makes it easy to know who to get ahold of to rectify any problems.  See
above for a customers experience.

This is not to say that generic memory companies do not sell quality memory,
but I like my customers or myself to be able to look at the ram if problems
develop, and know instantly who to contact to take care of the problem.

YMMV.  Thanks for reading my rambling.

Chris