[G4] G4 Airport Assistant...

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Apr 26 20:34:45 PDT 2006

On 27/4/2006 12:44 PM, "Thomas J. Fobia" <tom578 at rochester.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>   I recently purchased a 12" G4 ibook that has airport internally. My
> wife who uses the computer at her job (a residence) where her boss said
> that she could connect to his wireless settup. Never having done this
> myself, how would I tell her to proceed (Her boss uses a wintype PC?
> What information does she need from her employer to make the
> "connection"? Is there a "password" he needs to give her to access the
> wireless connection? Her job is midnight to 8 AM and having access to
> the internet would allow her to communicate with a friend in Norway! Ive
> heard there are certain "zones" in Rochester NY (where I live) that have
> free wireless connections (again I dont know whats involved in making
> these connections. I would tell her to boot the "Airport Assistant"
> application and follow the directions (whatever they would be). Is there
> a "connection" procedure as well as a proper way to "disconnect" from
> these devices? Don't know and thats why Im asking! Thanks in advance to
> all who respond!

If Airport is operating it will automatically find signals etc although you
will need to go to preferences > network

In the show menu, show airport, which will then offer some options such as
'allow this computer to create networks', 'by default join automatic', and
'show airport status in menu bar' make sure they are selected

In the menu bar the airport icon can be clicked to bring up choices
including 'open internet connection'

It is all self explanatory. Some networks will require a password, (which
her boss may need to give her) some not, and some will require you to sign
up in order to pay exorbitant fees for using their connection.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art