[G4] Kernal Panic, then crash

Rick Smykla rsmykla at verizon.net
Fri Dec 15 04:08:22 PST 2006

Steve,

Well, to me KPs almost always indicate hardware issues. Sounds like
you have a couple of components you could try removing one at a time
to help diagnose the problem. The memory issue you mention raises a
red flag, you may want to start there, removing one at a time. USB2
also worth checking. What is the most recent hardware change that you
made to the QS? Sounds like the CPU may be fine, given the solid
performance you've had so far, but keep it in mind if you're not able
to eliminate the KPs after checking other possibilities.

Folding at home?
In short, it's a distributed computing effort where folks allow their
computers to crunch small packets of data when their machines are
otherwise idle. When complete, the "calculation packet" is sent back
to a server at Stanford Univ to add to their results on protein
folding simulations. The project has produced many scientific papers
that are helping to understand the folding of proteins, which is
important in understanding and eventually curing a number of serious
diseases (e.g., Alzheimers, various cancers). Lots of info on
Stanford's site <http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/>.
If you're interested in contributing, be sure to check here <http://
teammacosx.homeunix.com/index.html>, where there is an active forum
for Mac users participating in the project who can help you get set
up and answer your questions. Very worthwhile cause, IMHO.

Rick