[G4] Kernal Panic, then crash

MegaSTMac at aol.com MegaSTMac at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 14:18:09 PST 2006

Response below...

<< Steve,

I have an almost identical QS, including CPU upgrade. A couple things
to consider here. . .
KPs are generally caused by either 1) hardware incompatibility or
fault, 2) bad kernel extension software, 3) overheating (see 1)

If you haven't changed your hardware config lately, it could be
overheating, especially since the dual 1.8 is an overclocked CPU to
begin with. I had this problem with my GigaDesigns card (purchased
early this year). The company replaced the card after asking me to do
a voltage (jumper) change and some additional testing. In my case, I
run the folding at home client software, which maxes out the CPU usage
24/7. I didn't see any problem with this card until the warmer
weather appeared, and I wound up setting the card to 1.6 GHz to keep
it stable. I eventually contacted the company with a description of
the symptoms and they supplied me with a redesigned card, which has
performed well and without problem at the rated 1.8 GHz.

Do you run any processor-stressing software such as f at h? To explore
this option further, you could try resetting the clock speed to 1.6,
and see if the problem persists. If so, I'd start examining other
possibilities, such as a bad RAM module.

HTH,

Rick >>

What is folding at home? After I sent the e-mail about this, I imported the
music with no problem. I left the computer on all night. (It doesn't sleep,
probably cuz of the USB 2.0 card) Anyway, I think I'll wait to see if this happens
again. So far the QS has been bulletproof since the Giga upgrade before summer,
through about 35 cassette imports, until now, that is. The memory issue does
give me pause, as I got conflicting reports from different ram testing
programs I ram not long after I bought the machine.

For now, I'll see if I have more episodes like last night, in the future.I
assume that more will come if there is a real problem.

STeve