[G4] G4 mirror door POS OSX 10.3

Dan A Currie dancurr at frontiernet.net
Mon Dec 18 07:42:43 PST 2006

chip puller wrote:

> I am trying to repair a dual processor 867 mhz mirror door G4. It gets
> kernel panic even when booting from an OSX-DVD which I find, makes it
> difficult discovering the problem. Kernel panic happenes for no reason
> and I have zapped the pram, reformatted the HD, Replace the HD and
> installed new osx 10.3.  Last night I even downloaded and installed
> the boot rom software upgrade. The boot rom was 4.4.8f2 and I erased
> it and reinstalled the software. The computer rebooted and ran for
> about 2 minutes and KERNEL PANIC....   I took all of the ram out of
> the sockets and tried 1 stick in all 4 sockets and reseated the CPU
> daughterboard. This G4 is the first one I have not been able to fix
> and that bugs me to no end.
>  any ideas ?
>    Al

Have you removed and reinstalled the heat sink and processors so that
they are truly seated.  I also added some heat sink paste between the
processors and the heat sink on my MDD 1.25 Dualie and it has been
working great ever since.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Thermal-Paste-Heatsink-Compound-CPU-Grease_W0QQitemZ120002776889QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46322QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Later,

Dan Currie