[G4] G4 mirror door POS OSX 10.3

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Dec 15 14:15:35 PST 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

What's a "kernel panic"? (Mac OS X)

UNIX-style operating systems (such as Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server, AIX,
and A/UX) may experience a type of error called a "kernel panic," which
may provide information useful for software developers.

A kernel panic is a type of error that occurs when the core (kernel) of
an operating system receives an instruction in an unexpected format, or
that it fails to handle properly. A kernel panic may also follow when
the operating system is not able to recover from a different type of
error. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software
or, more rarely, damaged or incompatible hardware.

It sounds like you've gotten corrupted software, or perhaps both
processors are trying to do the same job at the same time. If it's
possible to reload OSX then I'd start at that point.

Best of luck!

On Dec 15, 2006, at 1:48 PM, chip puller wrote:

> I am trying to repair a dual processor 867 mhz mirror door G4. It gets
> kernel panic even when booting from an OSX-DVD which I find, makes it
> difficult discovering the problem. Kernel panic happenes for no reason
> and I have zapped the pram, reformatted the HD, Replace the HD and
> installed new osx 10.3.  Last night I even downloaded and installed
> the boot rom software upgrade. The boot rom was 4.4.8f2 and I erased
> it and reinstalled the software. The computer rebooted and ran for
> about 2 minutes and KERNEL PANIC....   I took all of the ram out of
> the sockets and tried 1 stick in all 4 sockets and reseated the CPU
> daughterboard. This G4 is the first one I have not been able to fix
> and that bugs me to no end.
>  any ideas ?
>    Al

Cheers, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* If pro is the opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
Congress!
Men's restroom House of Representatives,
Washington, DC