[G4] Installing Tiger

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Dec 16 22:24:13 PST 2006

On 17/12/2006 9:18 AM, "Les Berkley" <wogears at fast.net> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> G4 Sawtooth 400. I have three partitions on my current HD. The boot
> partition (10.3.9) is 10GB, of which 5.5 are used. There is also a 9.2.2
> partition, which is bootable, and used for Classic.

As O'Brien says, yes you will be able to do as you wish. I am just adding
that you seem to have a misunderstanding of Classic. Classic is OS 9 run
from within Panther. It is located on your 10.3.9 partition and would still
be there as usual even if there is no other partition on your HD. The OS 9
operates on top of the already operating OS X. It can be found on your HD in
a folder called 'Systems Folder' and has a '9' on the folder icon, whereas
the folder for OS X is in a folder called simply 'System' and has an 'X' on
the folder.

Many people, however, such as myself, and apparently you as well, have a
separate partition with OS 9.2 installed on it. This is independent of the
other partition and is bootable. The only connection from this OS 9
partition to the Panther side is via a shared folder, often called a Drop
Box, or other network options.

On the other hand, Panther is capable of utilizing the OS 9 partition as if
it was just another partition for storing files, but it cannot operate the
OS 9 applications that are there. Panther can only operate the OS 9 apps
indirectly by allowing the Classic environment within itself. Because it is
a long long time since I have had need to use an OS 9 app (I have Quark over
there, but don't use Quark anymore) and I find OS 9 to be generally an
unpleasant experience these days and very frustrating to use compared to
Panther, that I just use the OS 9 partition for my iTunes Library. iTunes
and iPhoto work fine with their Library's on another partition including one
with OS 9 on it, as they do on any external drive.

The only advantage to having a separate OS 9 partition is that sometimes
there can be some apps in the Classic environment that have some troubles,
such as accessing a printer. Apart from that it suits some people to have a
familiar full OS 9 environment because they like it. If I had my time over I
would have simply installed OS X and not bothered with the OS 9 partition.
It is largely useless.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art