[G4] 2 Macs- internet help

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 26 21:57:54 PST 2006

On 27/12/2006 10:53 AM, "Roxylee" <roxylee at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Hi, smart people. I have a G4 AGP 466, upgraded to 800 and I just
> bought a used 1Ghz G4 Quicksilver 2002 that has a gigabase network card
> in it, whatever that means.  Neither computer has an airport card.  We
> have a DSL Speedstream 5200 modem. I want both computers to be able to
> go online.
>
> Could someone please tell me exactly what I need to buy  (router?
> adapter,?  What kind, what is good for 2 Macs etc etc ( in simple
> terminology, as I know nothing about networking.  The 2 computers would
> be about 50 feet apart, in separate rooms.

Hi Roxylee,
When it comes to computers I never feel like one of the 'smart people' but I
will add my bit anyway.

Everyone so far has suggested the conventional, and these days old fashioned
approach. When I set up my LAN here I too chose a Netgear router with
ethernet cables. It was marginally cheaper, but not by much as those cables
add up in value over long distances (like you, about 50 ft)

I have regretted that at times since then, as laptops are not so
conveniently attached by cable, and once you add a notebook to your
collection this becomes an issue.

Also the purchase of a wireless router, and enabling wireless on your
computers avoids the problem of unsightly cables everywhere or the
difficulties in hiding them away by running them through the roof and walls.
My ethernet cables are across the ceiling and do not look pretty but they
have to go somewhere. Airport in one form or other is the way to go.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art