[G4] G4 upgrade questions

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 3 08:31:31 PST 2006

On 3-Feb-06, at 4:22 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> G4 upgrade questions
>
> I have a MDD dual 867 Mac, and find myself trying to make the next
> best step.
> I bought the dual 867 because I like the looks of the case and
> GigaDesigns
> had a dual 1.4Ghz upgrade card at the time. They quit selling them not
> long
> after I got the MDD. I'm considering trading up my mom's 7600/200
> (that I gave
> her) to my MDD and getting an older G4 and getting a dual 1.8Ghz from
> Sonnet/PowerLogix/GigaDesign. I want the fastest machine that will
> boot into OS 9. So, I
> have a few questions for you G4 wizards.
> 1-Has anyone run an early model MDD with a GigsDesigns dual opgrade
> card?
> Runs ok or problems?
> 2-Outside of the looks of the case, are there any
> advantages/disadvantages
> between the AGP/Gigabit Ethernet/Digital Audio/Quicksilver models? Any
> reason
> not to get the last Quicksilver? To those of you who have done the
> dual 1.8 Ghz
> upgrade on any of the G4's, have you had problems or not?

The last MDD to run OS9 was a 1.25 Ghz dual firewire 400 (not 800).
This is the speed you refer to in Q 4 below.

> 3-Has anyone tried to put a MDD front face on a Quicksilver?

If all the slots you need line up this should be possible - but why
would you want to?

> 4-Has anyone tried putting a faster MDD card (like the factory 1.25Ghz
> or
> 1.42 Ghz from a faster MDD) into the dual 867 with good results? Can
> it even be
> done?

I do not believe this is possible and once above 1.25 there is no
chance of running OS9.

> 5- Does anyone know the last model that will run OS 8.6? I had to boot
> up my
> 6100 just so I could use ClarisCAD. My MDD won't boot into 8.6 and
> ClarisCAD
> won't run in 9.2.2.

8.6 could run on a G3.  It will not run on a G4 as far as I know.  But
a response to your query says it is possible to run your program.