[G4] Problem with spreadsheets in Classic mode

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 3 09:01:12 PST 2006

On 3-Feb-06, at 4:22 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to a 1.25 dual G4 desktop with OS X 10.3.9 and
> 9.2.2 I have had a serious problem trying to get classic spreadsheets
> to run.
>
> The spreadsheets that I have are Excel 4, Lotus 2 and WingZ.  WingZ is
> the only one that will function on this computer whether booted in
> 9.2.2 or in X (classic).  Excel and Lotus are the only old Mac OS
> applications that I haven't been able to get to work on my G4.

Get an OSX version of MS Office and open those files in a new version
of Excel.  I am not familiar with WingZ, but it is ancient, isn't it.
Lotus 2 may have an updated version somewhere, but probably not for
OSX.  Lotus123 came out over 20 years ago for Win 3.1 - I just cannot
believe anyone still uses it.

I highly recommend to you that you
1 Get updated versions of your programs that run in OSX (if available)

2 Each of these programs has an export feature - use it to try to
import the data into another current app (for those apps that have no
current versions)  A DataBase program may serve you well, but you would
need to design it for your data.  It is much work to update data into a
new program, many companies have spent much on conversions.  It is
tedious and time consuming and requires patients.

3 I realise that it costs money and much time to get out of the stone
age, but GET OUT OF THE STONE AGE.  You will need to retain your old
computer running until you have been able to move the data to a working
program on your new computer.

4 You could look at the data you have stored in these files and for
accounting issues you only need to have 7 to 8 years available.  Maybe
if it is information that can be lost/deleted legally or logically then
you can cut some away, thus reducing the task ahead.  Lose the data you
don't need.

> Excel will open a new file but the minute I click on anything it quits
> immediately.  Lotus will not start up at all.  All 3 programs run fine
> in 9.1 on my old G3 computer.  Since I don't have a floppy drive

LOL - floppy?  You can buy external floppy drives, but that's not the
answer.  You could also plug both computers into ethernet and try to
install across a network, but again that is not your real answer.

> on the G4 I have tried several methods of installing the programs,
> simply copying over and making disk images on CD.  The disk images
> work fine on the G3 but not on the G4.
>
> I am most interested in getting Excel to work on the G4.  Does anyone
> know if it is possible to get Excel 4 to work on a G4 tower running
> 10.3.9 and 9.2.2 and if so, how do you make it work?

New copy of MS Office contains a new copy of Excel and it has the
ability to import all your data and run - right out of the box in OSX
-  UPDATE IT, and save all the effort.  Ebay  will have a copy for sale
and even if you get one that is a version back it can run in OSX.  Just
make sure it can run in OSX (do your homework).

jj