[G4] Problem, solution

Matthew Wensley mwensley at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 3 13:55:41 PST 2006

G4 MDD 1.25 dual. 1 gig RAM OS 10.4.4

I recently had a rash of Kernel panics, applications quitting for no
reason, and refusing to wake from sleep.

I ran TechTool and Disk Warrior and Disk Utility, nothing bad
reported. Ran OnyX.

Then I installed a new HD and put a fresh OS on, updated, fresh
install of my applications etc.

Still had kernel panics, applications quitting etc.

Zapped the PRAM, no change.

Booted from a different volume, no change.

Took out RAM modules one by one. Problem disappeared.

A RAM module flaked out after 14 months.

Future Shop refused to honour the manufacture's lifetime warranty,
because I had not purchased an extended warranty. (why would you buy
an extended warranty when the product comes with a lifetime warranty?)

Mobel has sent me a RMA for the RAM.

Lesson learned.

Hope this helps someone.

Matt