[G4] Problem with spreadsheets in Classic mode

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 13:47:06 PST 2006

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 06:54:25 +1100, Tony Johansen wrote:
> Considering how many people use CD's for long term storage it is amazing how
> little discussion of these issues occur. I guess people don't realise that
> not all CD's are equal.

Tony,

You are quite right and I agree that it's a shame that more people aren't aware of the limitations.  The fact that you have never used a floppy also points out a parallel problem that many tend to ignore; the fact that technology obsolescence can really bite you if you don't stay current.  We also need to be aware that disk handling and storage conditions affect the life of all media considerably.

As often the case, I was not as clear as I might have been but this again illustrates both problems.  I made my floppy images and copied them to magneto-optical 3.5" disks which are supposed to be considerable more durable than CD-R and certainly much less likely to be physically damaged.  I am still dependent on the scsi MO drive in my old computer to read the disks and if it fails I'm not sure I could find a replacement. I know they were still available a year or so ago but who knows for how long.  I suspect that I should make duplicates on a backup HD and/or a DVD-RAM disk for items I really need to preserve.  Thanks for the reminder.

Skid Kennedy