[G4] AGP hard drive question

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Feb 6 12:31:28 PST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 3:12 PM, JayB wrote:

> I've upgraded my g4/500 to 1ghtz via Sonnet.
>
> One of the factory 18gb Ultra II SCSI drives has cacked.
>
> Questions:
>
> What are my drive options?  Can I replace it with a regular ATA
> drive (plug & play)?

Not at all. SCSI and ATA are two different animals.
You could maybe get a SATA PCI card and start from there w/ ATA drives.

> Or is there going to be a problem with this ultra SCSI cable inside?

Possibly the cable has become unseated while you were installing your
CPU.

> How do I shop for best price on said drive (besides Froogle)?

You can get SCSI drives at OWC  www.otherworldcomputing.com
but the selection precludes brand loyalty and capacity is limited.

> What brand (Hitachi,Maxtor, etc)?
MAxtor, SEagate , IBM whatever, I saw some Quantum Atlas drives for
sale.

> I don't need tons of space, but I'm sure I can't get any drives
> under 80gb.

You probably can't get any scsi drives bigger than 36g and those are
pricey.
A SATA card and  a big drive might be in your future.