[G4] AGP hard drive question

JayB FromJay at joimail.com
Mon Feb 6 12:56:28 PST 2006

On Feb 6, 2006, at 2:31 PM, James Asherman wrote:

>> I've upgraded my g4/500 to 1ghtz via Sonnet.
>>
>> One of the factory 18gb Ultra II SCSI drives has cacked.
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> What are my drive options?  Can I replace it with a regular ATA drive
>> (plug & play)?
>

> Not at all. SCSI and ATA are two different animals.
> You could maybe get a SATA PCI card and start from there w/ ATA drives.
>

>> Or is there going to be a problem with this ultra SCSI cable inside?
>
> Possibly the cable has become unseated while you were installing your
> CPU.

The drive cacked while I was wiping it clean w/ disk utilities (writing
zeros and ones).  Drive crashed 15% after it was being erased.
Couldn't get it to mount using Disk Utilities or another utlitly
program.

I had installed the CPU over a year ago.

The part that is confusing is, a nearby authorized shop who had done
warranty work for me on this unit in the past said just replace it w/
any ATA drive.  But I was guessing that the two (Apple factory
installed) Ultra SCSI drives DO NOT use the same cables or drivers as
IDE or ATA.  This has left me a bit confused.

This G4 is only going to be used for another year I suspect and I don't
need more than 40gigs on the 2nd drive (the one that cacked).  I'm jsut
looking for the easiest and cheapest route (esp. since it's worth no
more than $400 now).

Another helpful soul had also advised that I probably had IDE bus, but
I just don't know enough to be able to confirm either way.

Clarity Please?  (and thanks for helping!)

~Jay