[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Feb 15 00:28:09 PST 2006

On 14 February, 2006, at 12:55:27, Computerman wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get classic to run on OSA X? I have a OS
> 9.2.2 disk
> but I am not sure how to do the install so that I can run classic
> on OS X
> Panther. I would appreciate any help.

You need to do a "Clean" installation of the older OS onto your hard
drive, not simply a normal installation. This is because you have
already installed the newer OS-X system on the drive and it can't be
over-written by the older OS.

What you have to do is boot to the OS9.2 CD by holding down the "C"
key while starting up. Insert the CD immediately after you are able
to open the CD tray and don't let go of the "C" key until you see the
happy Mac on the screen.

When you get to the proper time in the installation procedure, you
will find an option button that will give you the choice of
performing a "Clean Installation" of the OS. Select that option and
then do a customized installation of OS-9 to pare it down a bit,
there will be a lot of OS-9 parts that you don't really need any more
if you are running OS-X and only using Classic for the older
programs. If you want to boot into OS-9, go ahead with a normal
installation to get all the parts.

Once you have the OS-9 installation completed, restart into OS-X and
use the Classic preference control to select your new OS-9 system
folder as your Classic environment.

Viola! You are done.