[G4] iPhoto Backup Round 2

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Thu Feb 16 12:35:39 PST 2006

Anne - at least you're doing the right thing by asking this group.
They're an extremely helpful bunch of (non-generic) guys who helped
me sort out a major Mac Ethernet problem.

Ye writ:

>Got all your excellent emails about a week ago on backing up images
>within iPhoto and ensuring not just thumbnails get backed up.
>
>But wouldn't it be simpler just to drag the images to a folder on
>the desktop or external drive, as iPhoto makes jpegs as you drag? As
>for thumbnails, OSX gives you thumbnails of *most* images. Haven't
>figured out why there's always a stray with a generic icon ...

I'm an iPhoto tyro myself, tho' I feel  I've just about mastered what I need to
photographically about Photoshop 5 - note I feel absolutely no need
for an upgrade.

As Santa recently gave my wife a 7 Mb Nikon digital camera (I'm a
film buff myself with many antique cameras, but scan digitally), I've
been interested to see what iPhoto does with the images, and it's
pretty good with JPEGs. No experience of what it does with RAW files.

I really shouldn't get too worried about the processes of iPhoto. If
in doubt, try iPhoto 'Help'. It's a great program basically designed
for idiots, but with lots of pluses for pros who know what they're
doing.

PS, on re-reading your question, surely iPhoto gives you a choice of
image format?

Best

Alex

--