[G4] Re: Standalone DVD burner Mac Compatible

bigthor at webzone.net bigthor at webzone.net
Tue Feb 21 22:37:28 PST 2006

Thanks, Wade, for your suggestion.  My one-bedroom apt. needs a media
room badly, and it would have one if I just had a second bedroom.
Alas, if I must resort, as you seem to suggest, to going the A/D
Canopus route, the worst I would have to do is temporarily move my Beta
VCR and/or my turntable and amplifier into my bedroom where my computer
setup is.  I already have a VHS VCR/DVD player combo near my computer
workstation, so for any VHS transferring I'm good to go on that aspect
of DVD conversion.

I take it you found none of the standalone DVD burners to your
satisfaction (unless you mean your Tivo)?  If I don't find something
better, I'm going to probably resolve to put up with the chirping sound
the Pioneer 533 or 633 makes as it downloads the TV Guide, whether the
machine is on or off.  I can keep it out of the bedroom at least and it
can reside in the living room with my other electronics, including
another VHS deck and the turntable.  Oh, yes, forgot, also a
reel-to-reel tape deck (the reel tapes beg for conversion as they are
in great danger of disintegrating from age).

I have thought about getting DirecTV and Tivo eventually.

Thanks, Don in D.C.