[G4] Setting up OS 10.3 to run Os Classic

Richard Ramsowr r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 22 07:22:00 PST 2006

Rob

Good Morning

First off there are two ways - dual drives and
partitioning.

The best and simplest way is to have two (dual) hard
drives. Put your OS X in the first drive (your
primality drive) and put OS 9 in the second drive
(your secondary drive). You can even partition your
secondary drive between OS 9 and Storage/Backup but
always place OS 9 in the first partition (itÕs a must
do thing).

The other way is to partition (divide) your single
drive in to two partitions with OS 9 in the first
partition and OS X in the second partition. But this
solution was always a compromise in a time and place
(the past) when hard drives were expensive and dual
drive systems were far and few. I would bet most of us
now have dual drive solutions or at least should have
such solutions.

I have a QS with dual drives, a 60 GB (OS X (10.3.9)
and a 40 GB (OS 9.2.2, partitioned for OS 9 and short
term storage with a 120 GB Firewire storage/backup
drive (external). And IÕm all ready think about a
upgrade to my long term storage/backup external drive
- something alone the lines of a 250 or 300 GB unit.

If your buying new drives get two 120 GB and a really
big Firewire External Drive designed for storage in
the range of 300 GB - cause storage goes faster than
you think.

Most any brand will do but make sure that the drive
are mac friendly - I have used both Seagate and
Western Digital.

Hope this points you in the right direction

Just a word or two...

Rick/thefireguy