[G4] Setting up OS 10.3 to run Os Classic

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Feb 24 01:33:40 PST 2006

On 22 February, 2006, at 2:25:12, Rob Walker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I am setting up a G4 450 MHz with Os 10.3. I want to run classic
> (OS 9.2) as well and am having problems find directions as to
> exactly how this is accomplished. If anyone has any advice on this
> it would be greatly appreciated.

You also received an answer from Richard Ramsowr who advised
partitioning your hard drive or having a second drive for the Classic
environment.

Unfortunately, Richard forgot that the simplest method of installing
the Classic OS is to perform a "Clean Install" of OS-9 on the same
drive where you have OS-X. As long as you remember to select the
option for a clean install during the installation of OS-9, it will
not attempt to overwrite your OS-X system and destroy your set-up.

Once you have done the clean installation, use the Classic Preference
setting to select that system folder as the one to be used as your
Classic environment.

You can do a "custom" installation of OS-9 while doing this and not
install the portions of the OS that will be handled by OS-X. Those
parts include the internet applications, printer drivers, even some
of the control panels for OS-9 such as mouse speed and desktop
appearance. You can also not select things like Airport if you intend
to use OS-X for that.

Hope this gives you more lee-way and ideas.